Sunday, February 12, 2006

Epic Republican hypocrisy II

As much as I wish it wouldn’t, I’m afraid that this header --- Epic Republic hypocrisy --- is going to become a regular of my blog.

The Associated Press is running a story today reporting on an interview with Laura Bush in Turin, the site of the Winter Olympics. In the article, among several topics she decries the ongoing violet protests by Muslims over an unflattering charicature of Muhammad published in a Danish magazine. Mrs. Bush is quoted as having said about the protestors: "If we resort to violence, it's very, very difficult to have any sort of dialogue."

So, in the best Mike Malloy tradition of utter outage at the colossal epic hypocrisy of your remarks, I remind you that:

IT WAS YOUR HUSBAND, THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, WHO HAUGHTILY DISMISSED THE PLEAS FOR DIALOG BY WORLD LEADERS AND UNILATERALLY INVADED IRAQ!

IT WAS YOUR HUSBAND, THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, WHO HAS SENT HIS MINIONS TO CONGRESS TO ARGUE FOR THE RIGHT TO TORTURE PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF NATIONAL SECURITY!

Major topic switch…

I used to kind of wonder who this blog was for. And the conclusion I came to was this:

- First, it is mostly for me. It is a way to get things off my chest. It is like my daily letter to the editor only addressed to the world. I get said what I need to get said.
- Then, secondarily, it would be nice if through the ideas in this blog I was able to make a difference with a few people.

Well now I have a third reason for this blog. The Christian Science Monitor --- by the way, hardly a bastion of liberal thought --- recently ran a story about plans by the I believe Dept. of Homeland Security for a program called ADVISE, a techno-babble acronym for a program that would essentially watch the Internet and sweep up huge amounts of information in an effort to supposedly thwart terrorists.

[The fact that this is a massive over-reaction akin to swatting flies with howitzers is the subject of another blog entry. The fact that this is yet another example of how the Bushies want to spy on Americans is the subject of another blog entry.]

The article went on to say that while the entire program was not yet operational, some parts of it were in place, although it didn’t specify exactly what parts. However, I have no doubt that the part that’s in place is software that is already trolling blogs like this one to see what’s being said, since that kind of software is easily and legally available on the open market --- ordinary companies can hire other ordinary companies to find out what is being said about them on the Internet.
So, my third reason for writing this blog is that I suspect the Bushies and perhaps even the RNC are listening. And just maybe they’ll get the message that yet another citizen is now voicing his deep concern about the direction this country is going and who just may be the tip of an iceberg of many more folks who.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home