Saturday, June 14, 2008

Intellectually deficient

As I have noted in earlier posts, I teach critical thinking in my college classes. So it is always amusing --- if I didn’t laugh, I’d get mad --- to see justices of the U.S. Supreme Court degenerating into apocalyptic rhetoric.

Of course I am talking here about the conservative minority’s ranting in yesterday’s 5-4 Supreme Court ruling that extended habeas corpus rights to prisoners being held at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

By hysterically exaggerating the alleged dire effects of the majority ruling, rather than focusing on the legal merits of the case, they demonstrate yet again how intellectually deficient they are --- just like the president who appointed them.

Fear, not intellectual rigor, seems to be their only weapon.

Which, I tell my critical thinking students, is a sure sign that deep down inside they know they're wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home